What We Do
The Building Department is responsible for building safety standards relating to the design, construction, use and occupancy of all buildings and structures located within the Township of Millburn.
The Building Department enforces the Zoning Ordinance of the Township of Millburn and the Uniform Construction Code of the State of New Jersey.
The Building Department is open to the public Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Resources, including zoning information, building permit application forms, inspection schedules and related literature, are available to assist in the filing of permit applications and may be obtained at the Building Department on the first floor of Town Hall, located at 375 Millburn Avenue. Visitor parking is provided in designated spaces in Municipal Parking Lot #5, adjacent to the building on Millburn Avenue.
Sign up for the SDL Portal to Access Permit Records
In order to better serve Construction Code customers, Millburn Township offers the public SDL internet portal access. This allows access to construction permit records and application status. By utilizing this free service, members of the public can search construction permit records and application status on their own from any internet capable device. A free user account is required and can be created through the SDL Portal. View the portal for property information, permits, Township GIS maps, and to schedule inspections. With the one user account, you can switch towns and search records in other participating municipalities. This could be of particular assistance to Real Estate professionals and Contractors. The information available on the portal is the same information that the building department offers over the counter and via email when requested. No personal or private information is viewable from the portal.
Please visit www.sdlportal.com today to take advantage of this valuable research tool.
Reviewing Property Documents and Plans
Permit information specific to a property can be viewed using the SDL Portal. You may search by property owner name, property address or parcel number. Please contact the Building Department for specific documents pertaining to a property. Interior plans are exempt from being provided due to security reasons.
Potential Prior Approvals
All copies of the Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical technical sections must be sealed by the corresponding licensee. Please provide one original plus three photocopies of each completed applicable form. However, for originals that are required to have a raised seal, the photocopies would also be required to contain this raised seal. In other words, fill out one form, photocopy it, then seal original and all copies. Any permit that is not paid for and picked up within 6 months of application will be voided.
- Construction Permit Application (PDF)
- Building Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Electrical Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Fire Protection Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Plumbing Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Mechanical Inspection Technical Section (PDF)
- Certificate of Occupancy (PDF)
- Required Inspections (PDF)
- Chimney Certification (PDF)
- Framing Checklist (PDF)
- Elevator Subcode Technical Section (PDF)
- Elevator Subcode Supplemental for Multiple Equipment (PDF)
- What is a building permit required for?
- What happens if I am caught working without a permit?
- How much do permits cost?
- When are inspections required for new buildings, alterations, additions, and renovations?
- Will I be able to schedule an inspection the same day I make the request?
- What if I have an old permit for which I never scheduled an inspection?
- How do I obtain a building permit?
- What does the Zoning Official do?
- Do I Need Zoning Approval?
- What is the Uniform Construction Code?
- Do I need Historic Preservation Commission Approval?