Real Estate Taxes
The Township of Millburn mails out two real estate tax bills per year. The estimated 3rd quarter tax bills are mailed mid-June and are due August 1. Upon receipt of the certified tax rate from Essex County, the final tax bills are mailed out mid-September and contain the payments due for November of the current year and the estimated first half of the following year, February 1, and May 1.
Payment Due Dates
The payments are due quarterly as noted:
|1st Quarter||February 1|
|2nd Quarter||May 1|
|3rd Quarter||August 1|
|4th Quarter||November 1|
Sign Up to Receive Tax Reminders
Residents may sign up to receive reminder notifications on taxes through the Township’s MillburnAlert. Create an account and be sure to select a subscription for “Tax Reminders.”
Reminders will be sent out in advance of due dates.
Tax Bill Explanation:
- Essex County Tax Portion- On the top right-hand section of the tax bill, a breakdown of the tax percentages are displayed. The first line is for County Taxes and each subsequent line after describes other county and local taxes owed.
- Calculated Quarters- On the upper left-hand corner of the tax bill, the amount listed under the property identification is the total taxes calculated for each quarter.
- Block and Lot- On the upper left-hand corner of the tax bill, above the calculated quarters, is the block and lot number for the property associated with the tax bill.
- Net Taxes- On the upper right-hand section, underneath the tax percentage breakdown, is net taxes. This section will list tax deductions such as senior and veteran. (These credits may affect the overall tax amount owed.)
- Total Anticipated Taxes- The bottom half of the tax bill is dedicated to information on the preliminary tax bill for the next year of taxes. The bottom right-hand section details the total billed tax amount due for Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 , 2023.
*Please note the top portion of the tax bill is the calculation of the annual current year taxes and preliminary 2023 taxes. Please refer to the payment stubs for amounts due by quarter.
Tax Billing for Calendar Year Municipalities:
Please be advised that our estimated bills are mailed out prior to the certification of the final tax rate.
Our 2023 certified tax rate is $1.956 per one hundred dollars of assessed value. The calculation to determine the annual amount of taxes is as follows:
Annual taxes less first three quarters equal the reconciled fourth quarter. The fourth quarter tax bills will be mailed in the middle of September.
*First half billing (February and May) is half of the prior year tax as an estimate going forward each year. Millburn Township estimates a tax rate to bill the third quarter taxes as Essex County does not have their budget complete at this time.
All successful County Board Tax Appeals are processed as credits to the fourth quarter tax bill. The first half of 2024 will be revised as well based on the new lower value.
Any questions, please call the Tax Office at (973) 564-7084.
Millburn Township has a 7 day grace period. All payments received in the tax office after the 7th of the quarter will be subject to interest rates of 8% on the first $1,500 and 18% on balances over that. A 6% year end penalty is assessed on parcels whose balance exceed $10,000 at year end. This payment rolls forward at a rate of 18% as well.
Postmarks are not accepted. Allow ample time when mailing payments as there have been delays with the Postal Service. Post dated checks are not accepted and will be returned. All payments shall be deposited within 48 hours pursuant to State Statute.
Pursuant to State Statute, the Township conducts a Tax Sale annually for all prior year unpaid balances. The tax sale is noticed for 4 consecutive weeks prior to the week of sale in the Item of Millburn / Short Hill and posted in 5 public places.
A sewer usage fee is billed annually and due April 1st with a 7 day grace period. Sewer charges can now be paid online through the homepage by clicking "Pay Bill Online."
The Township of Millburn bills an annual sewer usage fee. This fee is a flat rate and is due every year on April 1. There is a 7 day grace period on the sewer fee. All payments received after April 7 will be subject to interest. All unpaid prior year balances are subject to tax sale in the current year.
The Township of Millburn’s sanitary sewer system is controlled and processed by the Joint Meeting of Essex and Union Counties. Millburn’s fees are established by flow and number of dwelling units in the Township. Each year the Township is provided with an assessment based on these factors. Capital expenses that are undertaken by the Joint Meeting are also included in the fees established for dwelling units in the Township. You can find additional information about the Joint Meeting of Essex and Union Counties by following the link http://www.jmeuc.com/