Downtown Area Vision Plan
The Township of Millburn is undertaking a Vision Plan to revitalize and re-envision its Downtown Business district. The plan will look to build upon and leverage Millburn’s history, natural resources, anchors, community institutions and organizations, and other unique qualities. The Vision Plan will provide a strategy for how Millburn’s Downtown can support its existing retail base and better position itself for future growth and long-term sustainability, and it is anticipated to serve as a foundation for future implementation.
This is a critical time to think about a larger vision for Downtown. The COVID-19 crisis has created unprecedented challenges for our businesses, and has changed the way people use the Downtown. The Downtown Vision Plan provides the opportunity to shape a roadmap for the future of Millburn, where bouncing back from the COVID era means more than going back to the old “normal.” It means addressing old and new issues, being prepared for the future, and giving the people the Downtown they deserve: more functional, more varied, greener, safer, and more attractive.
All interested residents, property owners and other stakeholders will have opportunities to share their thoughts on the vision, goals and objectives for Millburn’s Downtown. See below for upcoming events and to review information from past events and surveys.
The plan is being led by a multidisciplinary team of designers, planners, and retail experts consisting of Perkins Eastman, BFJ Planning and Streetsense.
Please direct questions regarding the Downtown Area Vision Plan to email@example.com
The Township’s goal is for the plan to be informed by a wide range of viewpoints while respecting the need to be respectful of social distancing protocols. As such, the Township will be sponsoring two virtual public workshops, two online surveys, and targeted meetings with stakeholders.
- Perkins-Eastman Downtown Area Vision Plan Presentation - March 23, 2021 (PDF)
- Maser Traffic Impact Study - Millburn Ave/Essex Street Two-Way Traffic Analysis(PDF)
- Interactive Public Map Summary - March 10, 2021 (PDF)
- Second Public Workshop YouTube Recording - March 2, 2021
- Public Survey and Ideas Wall Summary - December 23, 2020 (PDF)
- Public Workshop Meeting Summary - December 3, 2020 (PDF)
- 12/3/20 Vision Plan Public Workshop #1 Presentation (PDF)
- 3/2/21 Vision Plan Public Workshop #2 Presentation (PDF)
- Recording of December 3 Downtown Area Vision Plan Virtual Public Workshop
- Recording of March 2 Downtown Area Vision Plan Virtual Public Workshop
- Downtown Area Vision Plan Process Narrative (PDF)
- Downtown Area Vision Plan RFP (PDF)
- Perkins-Eastman Proposal (PDF)
- Perkins-Eastman Revised Proposal and Costs (PDF)
- Resolution No. 20-184: Authorization to Set Up a Reserve for Preliminary Planning Expenses for the Township of Millburn for the Downtown Area Vision Plan (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Essex County Comprehensive Transportation Plan (PDF)
- Millburn Bike Network Report Final (PDF)
- Taylor Park Strategic Plan, 2020 (PDF)
- Millburn Traffic & Parking Public Meeting, 2020 (PDF)
- Millburn DPW Relocation Feasibility Report, 2019 (PDF)
- Adopted Millburn Master Plan Reexamination, 2018 (PDF)
- Millburn Redevelopment Plan 2008, Part 1 (PDF)
- Millburn Redevelopment Plan 2008, Part 2 (PDF)
- Redevelopment Area Study for Portions of Blocks 701, 1207 and 1212, 2006 (PDF)
- Stan Eckstut Downtown Study 2005 (PDF)
- DMDA Master Plan 2000, Part 1 (PDF)
- DMDA Master Plan 2000, Part 2 (PDF)
Steering Committee Members
Members listed below have been approved by the Township Committee.
- Beth Zall - Planning Board Chair
- Priya Patel - Environmental Commission Chair
- Gaston Haupert - PTOC Safety Chair and Pedestrian Safety Advisory Board Member
- Alex Zaltsman - Board of Education President
- Amy Lawrence - Former Member of Public Works Relocation Ad Hoc
- Tara Prupis - Mayor, Township Committee Member
- Richard Wasserman - Township Committee Member
- Alex McDonald - Township Business Administrator