The Millburn Township Committee is discussing the formation of a downtown Millburn business association to oversee the Special Improvement District.
A draft ordinance regarding the potential group can be viewed here: DRAFT Ordinance to Amend and Restate in its Entirety Ordinance 12-92, Creating a Special Improvement District Within the Township of Millburn and Designating a District Management Corporation (PDF)
The Millburn Township Committee has announced that it is searching for qualified candidates to fill vacancies on a Board of Trustees for a revised special improvement district. Residency is not required for business owners and/or property owners.
Those interested in volunteering their time and talents to serve Millburn Township are encouraged to complete a Volunteer Interest Form, which can be obtained on the Township’s website, by clicking HERE or by calling the Township Clerk’s Office at (973) 564-7092. Completed Volunteer Interest Forms shall be submitted with a statement of interest and relevant resume (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the drop box outside of the front of Millburn Town Hall located at 375 Millburn Avenue, Millburn NJ. Additional information on the board is below.
Special Improvement District Board of Trustees
The Millburn Township Committee is in the process of reestablishing a Board of Trustees for a revised special improvement district. Discussion regarding the revised ordinance have already commenced and at this time the Township Committee is actively soliciting interested parties to be a part of the board. Be advised residency is not required for business owners and/or property owners. Those interested in being a volunteer on the board of trustees should be committed to the economic development and vitality of the Township of Millburn’s multiple business districts. The board will also be responsible for guiding the District Management Corporation and its executive director to promote, support and actively recruit businesses within the established special improvement district among other goals and objectives that are enumerated by the board of trustees.
Below are the categories of trustees and their initial term length at the onset of the newly created board;
- Voting Members of Board of Trustees. The Corporation shall be governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of seven voting members, who shall be appointed by majority vote of the Township Committee, and nonvoting ex officio members. The voting positions shall consist of the following:
- A member of the Township Committee for a one-year term commencing January 1; and
- Two persons who are owners of real estate within the District, or officials of a corporation or entity owning real estate within the district to be called owner trustees;
- Two persons who operate a business within the district but do not own property within the district to be called "operator trustees."
- Two residents of the Township of Millburn who are neither owners of property within the district nor owners or operators of a business within the district to be called "resident trustees."
Initial terms will begin when appointed by the Township Committee, however termination dates are established below.
- One resident trustee and one owner trustee shall be appointed for a one-year term commencing January 1, 2021 and terminating December 31, 2021.
- One owner trustee and one operator trustee shall be appointed for a two-year term commencing January 1, 2021 and terminating December 31, 2022.
- One resident trustee and one operator trustee shall be appointed for a three-year term commencing January 1, 2021 and terminating December 31, 2023.
- Thereafter, appointments made for all trustees, except for the member of the Township Committee, appointed after January 1, 2021 shall be for three-year terms.