What can I do if I have water coming onto my property from a neighbor's property?

Water may flow onto your property from an adjacent lot because of natural topography, meaning that your lot is at a lower elevation, or servient, to the upland or dominant property. You cannot change that flow to the detriment of the owner of the higher property. You must continue to accept water which flows naturally from properties located at higher elevations, but you can make improvements on your property to control and redirect the water with a drainage system on your property. The engineering department can make suggestions to help your situation, but a more complex plan will require the services of a design professional and possibly a permit from the engineering department. 

If the owner of the higher property alters conditions on his or her land which increases the burden of the water flowage onto the lower property, the engineering department will work with the upland owner and/or contractor to remedy the condition. 

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit to replace the curb/sidewalk/driveway apron/gutter in front of my house?
2. The roots from a Township tree have lifted the sidewalk in front of my house. Will the Township replace the sidewalk?
3. Where am I permitted to discharge sump pump drainage?
4. I am planning an addition/alteration project at my house. Does the work require a permit from the Engineering Department?
5. I want to re-grade my property and construct a retaining wall in order to create a level lawn area. What permits are required and what type of plans must be submitted?
6. I have been told there may be an easement on my property. How do I find out what the easement is for and how does that impact my property?
7. How do I find out what flood zone my property is in? Do I need flood insurance?
8. Can I get a copy of my survey?
9. What will the Township do if I believe that my neighbor has infringed on my property? For example, if they removed vegetation, or disturbed my fence?
10. Do I need a permit to repave my driveway?
11. What can I do if I have water coming onto my property from a neighbor's property?
12. The property next to my property is under construction and mud from their site has flowed into my yard. Who do I call to clean it up?
13. The inlet in the street is blocked and water floods the roadway during heavy rain storms. Who cleans out the inlet?
14. The utility company was working on my street and the pavement has not been repaired. Will the roadway be repaved?